Monday, January 2, 2012

The Top 10 Best Films of 2011: Part 2

Continuing on with the list, it's down to the best of the best as we get into numbers 5 through to the Best Movies of 2011.





5. Super 8
As you may remember, I named Super 8 may favorite movie of the summer and it is definitely one of the best movies of the year. J.J. Abrams knocks it out of the park again with a movie that is as much of a thrill ride, as it is an emotional heart-warmer. It's a risks prospect to have an almost all child main cast, but the actors are just fantastic in their roles. Elle Fanning deserves special credit for her great performance. The train crash sequence is spectacular, even if the alien looks kinda lame. The whole movie is a perfect summer blockbuster.


4. Captain America: The First Avenger
As we close the book on the Avengers movie lead-ups, we end on Captain America and get the best superhero movie of this year. Captain America is clearly proud to be a comic book movie. The sets and effects make the movie look like it really did just jump off of a comic book page. Chris Evans redeems himself from Fantastic Four as he really shines in the role as Cap himself. The story was a great build-up to The Avengers as the trailer after the credits was just the icing on the superheroic cake. Many have said it's just a trailer for The Avengers. If so then this is the greatest trailer ever.


3. Warrior
I reviewed earlier this week and as such I'll try to keep this as short as I can. Warrior is a great movie. I am not a big sports guy, but I love sports movie and this underdog is no exception. It starts out a little slow, but once the tournament starts, the movie never lets up. Every fight scene builds off of the last, the whole cast knocks it out of the park, especially Nick Nolte who has to get an award for his powerful performance as the brother's father. The ending match better the brothers may be the best fight scene of the whole year. Warrior is full of heart, emotion and great frighting. (I didn't even make a knockout joke, that's how serious we are)


2. Kung Fu Panda 2
Last year, if you built a time machine or psychically told me that I would be putting Kung Fu Panda 2 on my Top 10 Best Movies list, let alone at Number 2, I would have nodded politely, began to walk away, then turn around punch you're time traveling, psychic ass in the face, then laughed at said face. I wasn' the biggest fan of the first Kung Fu Panda, so I didn't have high hopes for the second. However, thankfully, Dreamworks Animation proved me wrong and now here we are. The sequel steps it up big-time. It takes more risks and as such turns out funnier, smarter and more entertaining then the first. It was a wild ride, but one movie proved to be just a little bit better.

AND THE NUMBER 1 BEST MOVIE OF 2011 IS...


1. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Now if you had told me this would have been my favorite movie of the entire year, I would have died of laughter. However, shocking as it may seems, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is the movie exciting, powerful, entertaining, well-developed movie of the year. the plot is absolutely fantastic and begs for a sequel. The effects are incredible and just cool. I mean, a gorilla attacks a helicopter. And wins. And it is awesome. But what makes this movie is Andy Serkis amazing motion-capture work as the main character Caesar. If Serkis doesn't get the Oscar, something horrible has happen with our world.

So there you have it. 2011 is out of the way and 2012 is upon us. What movie will be on this list next year? I can't wait to find out.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment