Monday, January 2, 2012

The Top 10 Best Films of 2011: Part 1

For every list of the worst, we must list the best. So, what films rose up and stood out as the best of the year? Now, again I don't see every film released this year and many of what i do see are the big-time summer blockbusters. This isn't really my official list. My official Top 10 Best List will be ironed out more toward Academy Award time, when I have a chance to see the more "award-worthy" films. However, these next 10 films are all fanatastic, and deserve a spot on this list.



10. Cars 2
Now, the fight of the tenth slot was close and The Adjustment Bureau, Sherlock Holmes and Harry Potter all came close to being in this slot. However, I had to give it to the one that I had to most fun watching. It's clear the people make this film had a fun time doing it and it really shows. Sure the whole spy thing is a little "been there, done that", but the movie brought me back to when I was 8 and playing with Hot Wheels. It was funny, exciting and charming. Easily the most underrated movie of the year.


9. Crazy, Stupid, Love
The world of romantic-comedies isn't a very pleasant one. On average, most of the rom-coms that come out each year (and there are a lot) are all pretty much the same movie. Which is why it's hard to not get cynical when we are watching pretty much the same film twenty times. However, every now and again, one romantic-comedy comes around and actually makes us care. Crazy, Stupid, Love is one of those movies. The cast is excellent, the story is both heart-breaking and heart-warming. But above all, it is actually funny. Ryan Gosling proved here that he is a force to be reckoned with and with good reason. Crazy, Stupid, Love is (bad-joke alert) crazy, stupid, good.


8. Paul
While a lot of people forgot about this one, was, in my opinion, the second-funniest movie of this year (we'll get to the funniest later on). The movie is completely geared toward nerds, so I don't now how well those who are very nerdy will respond to this movie. I personally think they will really like it too. The movie has a great cast, but then again, was Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogan, Kristen Wigg and Jason Bateman ever not gonna be funny. The humor is really spot on and the action is very bad either. It was a wild ride, and I;m glad we were there to watch it.


7. Thor
Now, to be honest, out of all there heroes to get movies this year, Thor was always the one I was the least interested in. The character seemed like it was just there for filler, another slot for The Avengers that had to be filled. But, when I saw the movie, I was surprised to find, it was really good. Unlike Iron Man 2 this one didn't feel like filler. It was just as fleshed out and entertaining on it's own as it is an Avengers set-up. The action scenes were great and the costumes and sets were great. But what really made the movie stand out was the cast. Chris Hemsworth was quite the surprise and his chemistry with Natalie Portman was one of the best in all the Marvel movie so far. Overall, a great way to kick off a summer movie season.

6. The Muppets
Now we get to the best comedy of 2011. Jason Segel is a great actor and writer and thank god he revived The Muppets. I'm a big fan of The Muppet Show and boy did this movie deliver. It was great see Kermt, Miss Piggy, Animal, Fozzy Bear and all the rest of the Muppets back and hopefully we'll see more of them in the future. The movie managed to capture the humor and spirit of the past movies and show, but added more heart than we're used to. I mean, I dare anyone to not shed a tear when they sing Rainbow Connection. Or when Kermt sings Pictures In My Head. Or at the end. Or...well, you get the picture. The music was also great and hopefully some will get nominated for some kind of awards. It's just great to have the Muppets back.

Now, because I love unnecessary cliffhangers, stay tuned later today for my TOP 5 FILMS OF 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment